Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a quick and also very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but extremely flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might actually trigger some joy for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
Likewise, this is a durable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we needed to discover a place to get it loaded. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you attach the gas tank, you simply turn it approximately high and let it warm up for 20 mins. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly amazed at just how simple the Ooni is to use as well as how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy area which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. Keeping that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily amazed to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a hard cooking procedure. I could NOT have been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He advises using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will certainly offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare all the means with.
- Don’t add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as rather economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I think that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing as well as prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little storage room to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.