Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet very flexible considering that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas and likewise desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp tank and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane container, and afterwards once we located one we needed to locate a location to get it filled. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel far, however I called a TON of locations before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy area which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat ideal and keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really thin between. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the means through.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it simple and leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant yet enthusiastic that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain just how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we should acquire it or just try to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you a long time and also energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect size, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise rather basic to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vouch too much while he was putting it together and also I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You just connect the gas and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I think that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also very light-weight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.