Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy as well as quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet super flexible considering that they can reach such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also lastly got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, tricks, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly stimulate some delight for you and make pizza evening much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp tank and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to locate a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! It was definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes when you attach the propane tank. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to use as well as how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool area which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat perfect as well as keep it moving. However, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it top as well as straightforward gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful but skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to continue to define just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just look for something else comparable online. However let me conserve you time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite basic to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion swear way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply link the lp as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I assume that preparing and making food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual preparing as well as prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.