Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a very easy as well as fast means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet very flexible given that they can reach such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, thoughts, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior location might really trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night more amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and then when we discovered one we had to find a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing spot which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to low and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. Keeping that said, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warm perfect and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it top and simple gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as super crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt picks it, but besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered area to store it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I assume that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a problem, the real cooking and prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.