Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast and very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however extremely versatile because they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my methods, suggestions, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might really stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas container, and after that as soon as we found one we had to find a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was absolutely easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the lp tank, you just transform it as much as high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and I were both happily stunned at how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome area which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to move the pizza around and also a good range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious about the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warm just right and maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too numerous toppings to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to continue to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must get it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I assume that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely light-weight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.