Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick and also simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but super flexible considering that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours just a few months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my techniques, tips, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some joy for you and make pizza evening more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane container, as well as after that once we found one we had to discover a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you link the lp container, you just turn it as much as high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes. After that lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly shocked at how simple the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the great area which offers you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around and also a excellent distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that said claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the middle. This will give you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the means with.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe just how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply try to find another thing similar online. However let me save you some time as well as energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute excellent size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also rather straightforward to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner promise too much while he was putting it together and also I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every so often as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it does not use up way too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly help it last much longer. If you do not have any covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the gas and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I believe that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s likewise very lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.