Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick and also simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet super flexible because they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my suggestions, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to use gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may really stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening much more amazing!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Locating that gas tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a gas tank, and after that once we found one we had to discover a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! It was absolutely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. When you attach the gas tank, you simply transform it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Then reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome spot which offers you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the warm to low and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. Keeping that said, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit anxious about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal and also keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin between. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the way through.
- Don’t include also numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful but hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we ought to acquire it or simply try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to sterilize the within or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust chooses it, but other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any protected room to save it however.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the lp and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. Since I believe that making and cooking food really can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the real prepping and preparing to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage room to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.