Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and also easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly flexible since they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, tricks, and also tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and likewise desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location may really trigger some happiness for you and make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that propane tank and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane container, and then when we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool area which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and low it awhile longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat perfect and keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking process. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the center. This will give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way through.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it easy as well as leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant however confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been sure if we ought to get it or just try to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
Something that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any protected space to save it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply link the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the real preparing and prepping to be a little bit taxing, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure entailed. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.