Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple and also fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however super flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my techniques, pointers, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location may actually stimulate some joy for you and make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, but below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, as well as after that once we found one we had to find a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was absolutely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins as soon as you attach the lp storage tank. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both happily surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also just how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which provides you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around and likewise a good range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. Keeping that claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also maintain it relocating. I was happily stunned to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking process. Using the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add also many garnishes to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You get those completely charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to continue to describe just how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should purchase it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust picks it, yet apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the gas and allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a problem, the real cooking and prepping to be a little bit taxing, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process required. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s additionally really lightweight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.