Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however incredibly flexible given that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my suggestions, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may really spark some joy for you and also make pizza night a lot more interesting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, as well as after that as soon as we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which gives you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp may be much easier. With that said said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried about the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect as well as keep it moving. However, I was happily amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the way with.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it top and also straightforward gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical however hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we need to get it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Let me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally rather easy to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion promise way too much while he was putting it with each other and I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t occupy too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of protected space to store it however.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I think that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.