Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy as well as fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my techniques, ideas, as well as pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas and likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and after that once we discovered one we had to find a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to move the pizza around and also a excellent distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it awhile much longer at a reduced temp may be less complicated. With that said stated, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal as well as keep it moving. However, I was happily amazed to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is super very easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I really lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim in the middle. This will give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook completely with.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful however hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we ought to purchase it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One thing that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust chooses it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the propane and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience because I think that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage room to maintain it dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.