Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast and also simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but extremely versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and requirements you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
This is a reliable, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank. Locating that gas tank and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and afterwards when we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. Luckily, our local equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of areas before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome spot which offers you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be less complicated. Keeping that claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warm ideal and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and also topping. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very thin between. This will give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t prepare right via.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it easy and top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was doubtful however hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we need to get it or just attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best offer.
One point that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any type of covered room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply attach the lp and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a hassle, the real prepping and also cooking to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also very light-weight and portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.