Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a simple and quick way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however super functional considering that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly obtained ours just a few months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my methods, thoughts, and also pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container as well as having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and after that once we located one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of places prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 mins when you connect the lp container. Then reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy place which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be easier. With that said, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat just right as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to master it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He recommends using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim between. This will provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook right with.
- Do not add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to describe how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we ought to acquire it or just try to locate something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Allow me save you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise quite easy to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my companion vow excessive while he was putting it with each other and also I assume it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One thing that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You just connect the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s also very light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.