Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely functional because they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, methods, and suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Locating that gas storage tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and then once we discovered one we had to locate a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. Once you link the gas tank, you simply turn it as much as high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both happily surprised at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing place which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat perfect and also maintain it moving. However, I was happily surprised to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very slim between. This will certainly give you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it won’t cook all the way with.
- Don’t include way too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it leading and easy gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful but confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. Let me save you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty simple to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vouch too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
Something that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt settles on it, yet other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I assume that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a little bit taxing, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure involved. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.