Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast as well as very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, methods, and suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might really trigger some delight for you and also make pizza evening much more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank as well as having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, and after that once we discovered one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel far, but I called a TON of locations before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins when you connect the propane tank. Then lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also just how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which gives you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temp might be simpler. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound round of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the middle. This will give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook completely with.
- Don’t include also numerous toppings to your pizza. One more means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we ought to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was likewise quite basic to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my partner promise too much while he was putting it with each other and I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super useful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust decides on it, however other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of covered space to save it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. Because I assume that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.