Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a very easy and also quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet super flexible given that they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my methods, suggestions, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly spark some happiness for you and make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and then when we discovered one we needed to locate a area to get it loaded. Fortunately, our regional equipment store had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of areas before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which gives you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat just right and maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation process. I could NOT have been more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. He recommends using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then extremely thin between. This will certainly give you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook right with.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it leading and also simple lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful yet skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we must get it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One thing that actually enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it does not occupy excessive space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered space to store it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. Because I think that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do state experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a headache, the real preparing and prepping to be a little bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.