Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however super versatile since they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, thoughts, and also techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may really stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane storage tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and then when we located one we had to find a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. With that claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it simple and also top lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced yet hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, yet besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t use up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected area to keep it however.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You just attach the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I assume that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the real prepping and preparing to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.