Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a quick as well as easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however super versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, methods, as well as tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to use gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might really spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
This is a well-made, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Finding that propane container and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and then once we found one we had to find a place to get it filled. Luckily, our local hardware store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. When you connect the gas container, you simply turn it up to high and also let it heat up for 20 mins. Then reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly amazed at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of as well as just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around and also a excellent distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that claimed, our liked cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous concerning the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal and keep it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I really lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms till it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim between. This will certainly provide you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Do not include also several garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within and extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we should acquire it or simply try to discover something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Let me save you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also pretty simple to put together – or at least I really did not hear my companion vow excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One thing that really attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not use up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered area to store it however.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the lp and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I assume that cooking and making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.