Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick and also simple means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly obtained ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, ideas, and tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly spark some delight for you and make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. Finding that gas tank as well as having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and after that when we found one we needed to find a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! It was absolutely much easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the lp tank, you simply transform it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. After that lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily shocked at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. Keeping that claimed, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also topping. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks since I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation process. I might NOT have been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually prevailed since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very slim between. This will certainly offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re seeking. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the method through.
- Don’t add as well lots of toppings to your pizza. One more method to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical yet hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we should acquire it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One thing that really lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will assist it last much longer. If you do not have any protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply link the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s additionally very lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.