Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and also quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however very versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours just a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, tricks, as well as pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas container and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane storage tank, and afterwards once we located one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be easier. Keeping that claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious concerning the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth just right and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will certainly give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add as well numerous toppings to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical yet enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we need to get it or just try to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. But let me save you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright ideal dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise quite easy to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner promise too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dust chooses it, yet aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not take up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any protected area to keep it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the lp and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more job. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.