Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a easy as well as fast way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but incredibly functional given that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally got ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to use gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might really spark some happiness for you and make pizza night a lot more interesting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and then as soon as we located one we had to locate a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair minutes.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit worried regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal and also keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I can NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook right through.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it straightforward and top gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant but enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to remain to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Yet let me conserve you time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner promise way too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that truly tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust chooses it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered room to save it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I believe that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual cooking and prepping to be a bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure required. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a bit of storage area to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.