Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and also easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however incredibly versatile since they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, ideas, and also techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp container and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, however below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, and then when we found one we had to discover a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome spot which provides you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that said said, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warm just right and also maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have been more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I actually lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim in the center. This will certainly give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way via.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it straightforward and top gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced but confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we must acquire it or just try to discover something else similar online, I had not been sure. However let me conserve you time and also energy. There is nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright ideal dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was additionally rather easy to create – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it with each other and I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dust chooses it, however other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up excessive space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a lot of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I believe that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s also really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage space to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.