Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast and also simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet incredibly functional because they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, tricks, and also pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and also then when we located one we had to locate a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and also a excellent range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be less complicated. Keeping that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat ideal and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose with no issues.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely slim between. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare all the means via.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. So keep it straightforward and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was skeptical however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to continue to explain just how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we need to acquire it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. However let me conserve you a long time and also power. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite basic to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner swear way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that actually attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust chooses it, yet besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply attach the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the real cooking and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.