Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however super flexible because they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, tips, and ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, as well as after that once we found one we had to find a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. As soon as you connect the gas storage tank, you just transform it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly shocked at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also just how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature could be simpler. Keeping that said, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect as well as keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I actually lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very slim between. This will give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not prepare right via.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it simple as well as top lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to purchase it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no demand to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust chooses it, but besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s additionally very lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.