Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but incredibly functional because they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, pointers, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly spark some delight for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
Also, this is a durable, high quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane storage tank, and also then once we located one we had to discover a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. When you connect the gas tank, you just transform it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins. My companion as well as I were both happily stunned at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use and just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy spot which gives you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. With that said said, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm just right and also maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Using the pizza oven is super easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel also. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really prevailed since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare completely through.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it top as well as straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical yet confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we should get it or simply try to locate something else comparable online, I had not been certain. However let me save you time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was also pretty straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it with each other and I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no need to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, however aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience because I assume that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.