Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy and also quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet incredibly versatile because they can get to such a heat as well as cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, thoughts, and ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside area might actually trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, as well as then once we located one we had to locate a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was certainly simpler than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins once you link the lp container. Then reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly amazed at how simple the Ooni is to make use of and how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the trendy spot which provides you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to move the pizza around and additionally a excellent range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be easier. With that claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick between it will not cook completely through.
- Don’t include as well lots of toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to acquire it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, but apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the propane and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I believe that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.