Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however incredibly flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my methods, thoughts, and also suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. Tracking down that lp storage tank and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and after that as soon as we located one we had to discover a area to get it loaded. Thankfully, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, however I called a TON of locations prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! It was absolutely easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 mins when you connect the lp container. Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily amazed at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which provides you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around and also a good distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to cooking as well as low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that stated, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect and keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim between. This will offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare all the means via.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Keep it top and also basic lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical yet hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or just try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that really lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t occupy too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected area to store it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. You just link the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. Because I believe that making and also preparing food really can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning process required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.