Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a easy and fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but super functional because they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my ideas, tips, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually spark some pleasure for you and make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a reliable, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp storage tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and then when we found one we had to find a place to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional equipment store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair mins.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the great place which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the heat to reduced as well as cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. With that stated, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the heat just right and also keep it moving. I was happily surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So keep it top and also simple lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical however hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or simply search for another thing similar online. Allow me save you some time and also energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent size, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was also pretty straightforward to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it with each other as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One thing that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, however other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. Since I believe that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more work. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s also extremely lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.