Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy as well as quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however incredibly functional because they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, suggestions, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Also, this is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! It was absolutely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and let it heat up for 20 minutes as soon as you connect the propane container. After that lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily amazed at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to master it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. I can NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it leading and also basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we ought to buy it or just try to find another thing similar online. But let me conserve you a long time and power. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of covered room to save it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. You just link the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I assume that making and preparing food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the real prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also really light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.